Thursday, April 1, 2010

One Great City

I'm in the Peg...the Dub...the 2-oh-4...

For those of you the require a translation, that would be WINNIPEG!  Also know as One Great City.  And it really is one great city.  Big trees.  Moisture in the air.  Affordable.  What's not to love?  Not quite this green just yet, but it will be...yes, yes it will be...


Truth?  It looks about like this right now...


Yikes!  Scary!  But lovely just the same...

Today I went for my speed interval workout.  I did it at the Gritty Grotto.  For those Peg-neophytes, the Grotto is the gym on the U of M Campus.   I've heard plenty about this gym, but have never had the full grotto experience until today.  And an experience it was.  I was running in a basement on a track made from rubberized interlocking patio stones. The gym equipment was from perhaps the mid 70's.  I was half expecting John Travolta to strut around the corner in a pair of skin tight white polyester pants with his shirt unzipped to his navel sporting a lovely gold medallion with Stayin' Alive blasting in the background.  It was DARK.  I wasn't sure if it was midnight or noon or what.  The ceiling was low.  The air was moist.  And it had a particular smell, although I'm not sure if I can relate the smell to anything I've ever smelt before...it might be a very unique Gritty Grotto smell all of its own.  Unfortunately, I don't have a pic for a good visual; I was slightly intimidated by the "NO CAMERA" signs everywhere and didn't want to get bounced from the Grotto on my first trip.  Mainly because I thought it was GREAT!  Definitley not the newest or most beautiful gym I've ever been to, but there was just something about the Grotto that tugged at my heart strings. 

And before I sign off, a quick note.  I LOVE running in Winnipeg.  Love, Love Love.  Why?  Here's why...

1. Friendly runners.  Everyone says hi.  Good morning.  Great day for a run.  Whatever...they just acknowledge your presence on the trail.  LOVE establishing camraderie with fellow runners.  In Calgary, when I say "hello"  to fellow runners on the path they generally either: ignore me, look at me like I'm crazy, or think really, really hard about where they perhaps they know me from since I wouldn't be saying hi unless I knew them...strange.

2. Its flat.  Perfectly flat.  In fact, I dare you to find a hill.  ARJR and I found one once...but it was more of a mound to be fair.  Not that I don't like hills, but I kinda feel like a rock star when I'm chuggin' along in Winnipeg.  Flat and fast.  Nice.

3. Tough runners.  Last winter when I was here my sister woke me up at 5:30 a.m. for a little jog before she went to work.  While you may be wondering what's tough about a 5:30 morning jog, I should mention that it was -40.  Yep- -40.  Running in a snowsuit was tricky but we managed.  And I should also mention that we weren't the only ones out there.  Runners in the Peg- a hearty bunch for sure!


1 comment:

ains-tastic said...

Please note: I love it when you run in the Peg as well. Just sayin'.