Sunday, April 18, 2010

Juxtaposition

Last Friday when I went for my long run, it was like this...


This week when I ventured out for my long run, it was like this...



Any guesses which run was better?

It's not rocket science, that's for sure!  Beautiful sunshine, warm temperatures and calm winds made for a much, much for fabulous run for me!  It was just a positive experience all around. 

This is in COMPLETE juxtaposition to my run the previous Friday.  Can I be honest?  That run was so awful I just about cried...almost, but not quite...OK...MAYBE a tear or two, but I'm not sure, it could have been from the wind.  I was at least an hour away from home with a ridiculously frigid north wind practically blowing me right off the path.  I like to think that I'm kind of a hearty runner (ARJR forcing me out of bed for a -30 run or two in the Peg helped with the hearty factor), but this was just plain miserable.  In fact, it was quite enough to make me question my sanity and what the hell I was doing out in the great out of doors when I could be snuggled up on my couch with a blanket and a good book. I actually walked a few times...and believe me, I never, EVER walk.

And then this Friday happened.  Almost like summer.  And it was enough to erase the previous weeks run from my recent memory and I was just content to be out in the world, padding along the path, loving life.  Amazing.

1 comment:

Christine said...

I was caught out in the snow storm on Thursday when it was rolling in. I started out with a mild wind and a few large flakes and ended up with pelting hail and gale force winds... it was awful... I have run outside, like you, all winter and this by far was my worse run... What doesn't break us will make us stronger...

I am now loving the nice weather and there are so many people out running too!