Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Variety is the SPICE

HILLS ARE TORTURE! Yes indeed they are difficult little mounds, but let’s be honest- up and over the hill is really a matter of mind over matter. As the saying I saw in Boston goes- “Mind over body. Body over hill.” Hopefully no one is too hurting after hill and stair day. Or maybe yesterday wasn’t hill and stair day for you. You certainly don’t have to follow what I am doing religiously.

Having said that, I am going to take the day OFF of running today for some alternative cardio and weights. After all, when you are going to be training hard for a lengthy run, it’s important to mix things up with variety in order to keep interested. I haven’t been to the gym for weights since last week and I must say that I am quite looking forward to going.

Alternate cardio for me means essentially doing anything that gets the heart rate up and into that aerobic zone. It could be biking. It could be swimming. It could be elliptical or rowing. You should pick something that you enjoy, as the more you enjoy something, the more likely you are to do it, after all! Or maybe you are one of those people that hates exercise and everything about it. Well, good on ya for even attempting this whole running thing then. I definitely wouldn’t be doing it if it felt like punishment!

Ooooohhhh- and before I forget…weights. Yep, I lift ‘em. Luckily for me I enjoy this part of my training too. Do you have to lift weights to in order to complete a marathon? I don’t think so. But what I will say is that strong muscles will go a long way to keeping you injury free. And believe me, with all of those miles you’re pounding out, injuries are bound to happen every now and again. So do yourself a favour- get involved in a weight training program of some description, seeking the advice of a personal trainer if need be! If for nothing else, all of this running MAY get a bit boring for you and, after all- variety IS the spice of life!

No comments: