Monday, May 26, 2008

Rain, rain go away...

Well, well, well my fine running friends…enjoying the deluge in Calgary? Feeling like flippers might be better than running shoes? Hoping that you get a spot on the Arc? Who knew when I chastised people on Friday for avoiding running in the drizzle that it would turn into a full on downpour. Good on ya if you managed to get out for a jog in this weather. I was out on Friday in the downpour. I actually did enjoy the whole thing until I was wet, cold and generally became miserable. Definitely not my best run but got the 2:45 out of the way. Onward and upward to 3:00 this coming Friday!

I’m sure you have all noticed by now that I am no longer posting running workouts every day. The reason for this is that the training for a marathon (at least the way I do it) is cyclical. What does that mean, you ask? Mondays are always hills and stairs. Tuesdays are alternate cardio. Wednesdays are speed intervals. Thursdays are off. Friday is long run day. Saturday is recovery on the bike. And Sunday is mid distance day at a good pace. Simple, yes? Anyhow, your running sessions may look a bit different depending on where you are at with the training and what you have figured out works for you. Running is a very individual sport- I would NEVER suggest to anyone that you follow someone else’s training religiously!

Anyhow, I know I have mentioned all of this before so I will leave you with this running quote that sums things up perfectly on this rainy afternoon…

Running is a road to self-awareness and reliance … you can push yourself to extremes and learn the harsh reality of your physical and mental limitations or coast quietly down a solitary path watching the earth spin beneath your feet. But when you are through, exhilarated and exhausted, at least for a moment everything seems right with the world…

No comments: