Friday, May 9, 2008

And Now for a Long One...

So I hope you all enjoyed your day of rest yesterday. I know I did. I probably enjoyed it just that much more since it was raining, snowing or a combination of both at times. Crazy Calgary weather is not always conducive to a run, so I've learned!

Ah yes. The long run. For all of you running neophytes, the long run is a staple in marathon preparation. It really is an integral part of any training program, at least all of the ones I've ever looked at. How the long run is approached is different depending on where you are at in your fitness and running. For example, I will be heading out for about a 2.5 hour run today. I am still recovering ever so slightly from my 26.2 in Boston but need to be getting in some good miles for the Calgary run in July. PLEASE don't head out for a 2.5 hour run if you are just starting to train. Ouch. It wouldn't feel good, you'll probably get injured and then be in a bitter, bitter place for a while. Only you know your running limits. If your longest run ever is an hour, then try and go for an hour and fifteen minutes. The goal should be to increase your long run every week by a little bit...whether it be by distance or time, that's up to you! I prefer to increase by time as I generally don't keep track of my distances. I know some people who have run marathons before are gasping in shock and horror, but it's true, I don't worry so much about the distance. This year I have become slightly more interested in distance since my soon-to-be brother-in-law bought me one of those NIKE/APPLE chips to wear on my shoe with my Ipod. This makes keeping track of distance much, much easier than wearing a massive thing on my wrist which I generally don't like. I highly recommend purchasing one if you have an Ipod- they are realtively inexpensive and it is very satisfying to upload your runs to the Nike website to admire your progress.

Other tricks and tips for the long run? Let's be REASONABLE people...it's a LONG run- not a fast one, so take your time and enjoy! I also LOVE running with my Ipod- distraction, distraction, distraction is SO important when you're out there for a long time. Oooooooh- and before I forget- hydration- VERY important. If you're going to be out for a long time like I am, you MUST have water and probably some Gatorade to replace your electrolytes. Again, how much you need and what you carry with you is purely based on YOU and what your body needs. Like I have mentioned before, I'm NOT an expert.

So get out there. Go for your long run. Enjoy. Picture yourself crossing the line in a spectacular burst of speed at whatever run you're going to do. And most importantly- HAVE FUN! Oh- and one more thing...out of any runs- try really, really hard to not miss your long ones! If you're going to make it through the 26.2 you need to improve your endurance!

1 comment:

Kate said...

Andrea,

You are such an inspiration! Keep the tips coming (especially the mental ones). :) Thanks a million!

-Weilz
xoxox