Saturday, May 10, 2008

RECOVERY!

I am so hoping that all of you crazy runners enjoyed your long run as much as I did yesterday. What a beautiful day for a long run- sun, no wind and last but not least, no snow, which is actually a big deal as those of you who have been enjoying this crazy Calgary spring know. And my legs felt good. Great, actually. Maybe even FABULOUS. I'm going to chalk it up to the Yoga challenge that I'm currently involved in (more on that later) or perhaps its the fact that it was my first long since Boston. Whatever the reason, I felt good and enjoyed it immensely!

Anyhow, I did something I would almost NEVER usually do, but I vowed that I was going to try and train a bit differently this time around since this bod is not getting any younger and I would like to be able to enjoy my running for years and years to come. I took a day off. I KNOW- 3 days of training and 2 days off already! Truth be told I just felt like I needed it...and I think you should give your body what it needs...not to mention I was slightly under the weather after a long night that may or may not have involved a tequila shooter or two.

But tomorrow is a whole new day and I am already looking forward to a great, great run tomorrow. Up early for hot yoga and then out for a good hour and a half run. Nothing too crazy, but the pace will be much faster than the long run. For those of you that are just starting out, pick a time frame that you will really be able to push through. If your long run was an hour, this may be 40 or 45 minutes or maybe even 30 minutes. the bottom line is you need to be running much, much harder than the long run. Work your pace; you can even try speeding up and slowing down. And enjoy, enjoy, enjoy...I know I will!

No comments: