Monday, January 23, 2012

Groupie, Repeat

Wow, Calgary.  Did you go running today?  Did you?  I sure hope so.  After days of sub arctic temps and nothing short of brutal windchill, we finally got a break.  And an awesome break it was!  What an amazing day for running.  I hope that everyone had the chance to get out there and enjoy the sunshine and beautiful weather.

I've got some exciting news on the running front...exciting for ME, anyhow.  I've become a groupie again!  At Dr. Oats' suggestion, I've joined a group of incredibly fast runners called Adrenalin Rush.  My plan is to run with this group once a week on the track.  For those of you that know, or for those of you that are curious, I am a firm believer that the kind of work that happens on the track is absolutely integral to becoming a faster runner.  Coupled with this is the fact that these track intervals are possibly the most challenging part of training, both mentally and physically.  You are often running at a very, very tough pace and repeating the set distance until exhaustion.  The benefit of the doing this training with a group is that you are suffering I mean training alongside others, and for some reason (I'm sure there is psychology that backs this up that I don't know about just yet) makes it that much easier.  Plus, I am a bit of a competitive gal and I don't like to be left in the dust which means I do my very, very best to keep up with runners that are significantly quicker than myself.  I've now had the pleasure of two track work outs with these folks, and I can say, with relative certainty, that this group will push me to be a better and faster runner. Both sessions have been tough, but it felt so very good to be running hard on the track again.  It's nice to be focused and training for a goal!  A lovely added bonus is that there are some incredibly fast women running with this group.  And guess what?  One of them is a sub 3:00 marathoner.  Eek!  I will do my very best to keep up.  Promise.  I'll keep you posted on that if I even have any energy to type.

And just because I have to because it makes me happy...



Shine on peeps, enjoy the beautiful day, the fabulous week ahead and of course...

GO RUNNING!

No comments: