Green Morning Goodness
1 large handful of spinach
2 large stalks of kale (rip the leafy bits off, no need to throw the stalks in there)
1/2 cup of frozen blueberries
1/2 a banana
1/2 a cup of UNSWEETENED and UNFLAVOURED almond milk
1 scoop of whey protein powder (please, please, PLEASE don't add a sugar laden or worse an artificially sweetened one...use an unflavoured kind; I like Sisu brand.)
Blend and enjoy. It's that simple.
- Skip the kale and just add lots and lots of spinach, although I'm not certain why you would, as kale is an amazing natural anti-oxidant (especially important for distance athletes who generally have quite a few little free radicals floating around the old system); vice versa you could skip the spinach and double up on the kale.
- Substitute whatever kind of berry or frozen fruit you would like in place of blueberries, although again, I'm not sure why you would. Blueberries. Yum.
- Skip the berries altogether and use a full banana. As one specific trainer I highly admire and the women whose nutrition philosophy I attempt to follow, one AT says, there is really no such thing as half a banana...nature made it just the way it is for a reason. It's supposed to be eaten in one serving!
- If you're not partial to protein powder, greek yogurt is a nice substitute (chalk full of protein); add a dollop
- Toss in a tablespoon of chia seeds. Or flax seeds. Or hemp hearts. Or a combination of all three.
And just so you know, as long as you throw at least half a banana in the blender, you won't even taste the green, I promise. Go ahead, try it...who know you just may like it!