Friday, November 11, 2011

Concrete Jungle Where Dreams are Made of

I went.

I saw.

And most importantly,

I RAN.

And it was awesome.

Me!  Post-marathon, medal, dazed and confused!
This is me post-race!  Of course, I'm smiling...I had many, many reasons to be happy after this unbelievable experience in New York City.

My time?  A 3:07.  3:07 people!  A personal best by two whole minutes.  Recall if you will (or if you won't, I'll just tell you anyways) my previous marathon best was in Chicago, a 3:09 on a flat and fast course just one short year ago.  The NYC course, by comparison is a very difficult and challenging run.  Tons of elevation change (like my new running friend Derek says. "bridges are hills") and sitting in the cold for 3 hours prior to running makes the first couple of miles a bit tricky.   The goal time I had in mind for this race was a 3:05, but I'm certainly not disappointed with a 3:07.  All that speedwork has most certainly paid off and I was able to run fast on a much more difficult course.  I also went out for it...HARD.  And tried to hold on.  I usually hold back a bit more at the start of my races, but I really, really needed to prove to myself that I could go out fast and hold on, and I am happy that I was able to accomplish that.  Often in races I think about drawing on the strength of others (I so appreciate everyone who sends energy my way on race day :), however, this time I was truly focused on getting through the tough spots myself.  I know now that I CAN do it myself, and this will be key if I am to get to that elusive sub 3:00 mark.

I was also so fortunate to have the love and support of my family (Caitlin and Scott included) who came all the way to New York to see me run by them for just a few seconds in Central Park.  This was a long way for my family to travel to witness just a tiny part of my race.  It really, really is so very special and important to me that they were there.  When I saw them on the race course a couple of miles from the finish, it was like a jolt of energy went through me and I was able to push myself just that much more to the finish.  Family, you are the best and I am so lucky to have you.  I love you and appreciate you more than I can ever say.

I should also mention that my smallest fan was in attendance at this race.

Henry- my wee fan
The day I ran the marathon was Henry's 3 month birthday.  I just KNEW that November 6th held great things for me for that reason alone.  Henry was obviously super impressed with my super awesome race number.  He was also super impressed with my race effort.  He slept through the entire thing, including our reunion on the corner of 77th and Amsterdam post run.  But it's OK- marathoning around NYC is tough when you're a little dude!

And finally, a word or two about the NYC marathon, for those enquiring minds...

A running event of that magnitude (47 000 runners representing 130 countries with 2 million+ spectators) is difficult to describe. 

Wondering really and truly what it looks like?  Here's an awesome visual certainly worth 3 minutes of time!  This is actually the start of the marathon on the day I ran it just one short week ago!  Big prize to anyone who can spot me in the crowd- HUGE in fact...



It's been one whole week since I raced and it's taken a bit of time for me to gather my thoughts about this one.  This was one tough race.  Mentally, physically and emotionally, I truly went through the ringer on this one.  First, because the race starts on Staten Island and runs into NYC through all 5 boroughs (Staten Island, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens and Manhattan) the race organizers need to get all 47 000 participants to the starting point- the Verazanno- Narrows bridge.  For me, this meant boarding a bus at 5:30 in the morning and then waiting in the staging area for 3 hours in the cold before the race started, sitting in the dark, on the pavement, trying to stay loose, hydrated, fuelled and warm.  This in itself was a big hurdle for me since I am always cold.  My pre-race uni included a woolly toque, sweats layered over running tights, layers on top, mitts AND hand and foot warmers.  By the time I started running at 9:40, I couldn't feel my feet!  Mentally, I knew that going out as hard as I did was going to require a great deal of toughness from halfway on.  When I felt my quads fatiguing already at mile 10, I knew that it was going to HURT.  And hurt it did, but I was able to push through, beat it and came through with a 3:07.  Definitley not my most evenly split or prettiest race, but I pushed myself through and didn't back down.  Emotionally...well, lets just say that as always, I worked some stuff out in my head over the course of this 26.2.  Worked.It.Out.  And the result?  Like ALWAYS- peace in my mind and happiness in my heart. 

Now it's time to let the body heal and recover which requires me to wrap my head around the idea that resting and recovering is a PART of training, even though I'm not running.  As some of you know, the hardest part of training for me isn't the running part...it's the non running part, and this will include the rest and recovery phase.

The NYC marathon was an amazing experience that I am not soon to forget.  Going through something that physically demanding on a course that tough changes you in some way.  I am already looking forward to seeing what that translates into for my next round of training and racing.

And I can't wait.





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's also worth noting that in a field of 47000+ runners Andrea finished as the 117th female and 22nd in her category! Very, very few runners (male or female) are ever able to race as fast as she did last weekend.

Very cute picture of the baby as well - hopefully someone buys him a pair of skates before his aunt takes him running 26.2 miles...

jayne said...

Beautiful and inspirational!

Anonymous said...

Well done my friend!!! I'm so proud of you:)
Ginger

Anonymous said...

Way to go Andrea. The girls are impressed and Sara thinks it is really cool as she loves to run as well. Drop us a line if you wish. Russ, Nadine, and girls.

robb said...

You are simply awesome, Andrea!
Having run Chicago and NYC, I think NYC feels twice as tough - all those bridges. Improving on your time is a monumental feat.
We have been following your races closely - the gang who took the speed clinic with you last winter - and we're hoping that whatever you have is contagious!

Andrea said...

Thanks Robb- hopefully I will cross paths with you at the track this winter!