Saturday, March 12, 2011

Signs,Signs, Everywhere...

Do you ever feel like the universe is against you?  At times, I sure do.  I realize that this is in direct contradiction to the very optimistic promise I made to myself over the New Year, where I indicated that I was going to see the glass as only halfway full.  Having said that, it gets hard to see the glass as halfway full when the thermometer consistently reads -30!

My training for Vancouver stinks.  That's it, in a nutshell. To be fair, it's really only my endurance on the long runs that is a bit questionable, since I haven't really done a long run in forever, since every time I try to get out for my Friday long run its FREEZING cold.  I've tried to improvise by heading to the track, but there is something about completing a very long run on the track that just doesn't work for me.  I get to about 2 hours and I just can't seem to push over the mental hurdle to get those miles pounded out.  My brain says no and my body doesn't like it much either.  This Friday, I was positive I was going to get out for a few good hours of training, but the wind foiled me this time.  It was a chilly -9 and with the wind it was brutal, biting and cold.  In fairness to myself, I made it for 24k (10 k short of the 34 I was trying to accomplish) which is a decent amount, but certainly not enough to quell the anxiety I'm starting to feel build when I think about my endurance.  And endurance I need if I have any hope of pounding out a decent 26.2 in Vancouver on May 1st.   Let's all say a quick prayer to the weather Gods that this most hideous of Calgary winters is behind us and we have nothing but blue skies and big mileage in the future.

Along with the signs, did you ever notice that sometimes terrible things happen to very, very, VERY good people?  I had the unfortunate experience of witnessing just this earlier in the week, when the wonderful gym that I am privileged enough to train clients at had a major disaster.  Poor Alive.  The location flooded and is now condemned.  Words cannot express how sad this really is, and further, I can't believe this is happening to the owners, Holly and Ben, who are two of the loveliest people I have had the privilege of meeting.  These two have the most fabulous attitude and are promising that Alive will be back, bigger and better than ever before.  I believe them when they say that, because they are full of positive energy and are determined to make something amazing out of this bump in the road.  And I hope I am fortunate enough to still be a part of it!  Please everyone, send some positive energy and love out to Holly and Ben and the Alive crew!  They sure could use some positive vibes for the speedy recovery of Alive.

And last be not least, I came across this little gem...

And so I sign off thinking about becoming an awesome marathon runner...

Look out pathways, here I come!

No comments: