Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Done and Done

The Calgary marathon has come and gone...and all we are left with are sore legs and the distant memory of energy gels and a beautiful race day. And the desire for MORE, MORE, MORE!

First of all, a huge victory V and shout out to the lovely ladies who completed their first ever half marathon. What a HUGE accomplishment. I was so very proud of them I had a tear when I saw them smiling at the finish line! Running 13.1 miles is a long way indeed and they all made it in fabulous time. Alicia, Adel, Clare and Christine, you guys ROCK. Nicely done. Of interest is the fact that each and every one of these ladies has contacted me regarding what needs to happen "next" to prepare for another one. I just knew this would happen! Running, after all, is a lovely little addiction! If you are reading this post and have never run a half or a marathon and are just a wee bit curious, its very easy...throw on your shorts, lace up your shoes and get out there!

So while these lovely ladies were dominating the half with style and grace, I myself was pounding the pavement in the marathon on Sunday. I am happy to report that the marathon Gods were smiling upon me with all their might as I was able to complete the race in a personal best time of 3:14. This is 3 minutes faster than my previous PB! I am fairly sure that all of the speed and hill training I completed this go around is what made the difference. I am extremely happy with this time. The course was entirely different this year and it was TOUGH. Hilly. Very, very hilly. Including the Shaganappi Trail hill that runs in front of the Children's Hospital for 1.2km. Yikes. I didn't find my legs for about 45 minutes but once I did I just felt amazing. The sun was shining and I truly was just happy to be out there running. I really, really missed running the 10 days before the race since I didn't run at all for the last part of the taper! Anyhow, the last 10k HURT. Ouch. But I was able to push through. I do love the mental battle that happens in that last 10k...I truly believe that a lot of it is mind over matter and having faith in your training. I am living proof of that because I can sure say that my legs have never quite felt like that before.

What's next? Ugh- I need a good couple of weeks off. My legs are toast. Done. Finished. I had a massage yesterday it hurt like you wouldn't believe. Your body absolutley needs a good couple of weeks of after putting it through that type of punishment. Coming back too soon means running a serious risk of injury, so I will be happy to hit up some yoga and do some lovely walks around the neighbourhood.

It is common to feel a bit lost after the race is over...after all, this is been your focus for 4 long months! But don't worry...running is NOT fickle- it will be there when you decide to are ready to embrace it again...so RELAX...kick back...enjoy a beer (or several) on a patio. And then we'll start talking about the next batch of training!

No comments: