Monday, June 15, 2009

Catching Up

This weekend I spent in good, old LA (Lethbridge, Alberta) catching up with a friend. It was so great to spend some quality time reminiscing about the past and our debaucherous days with someone who lived them in the flesh with me and is near and dear to my heart. And while those times were amazing, I don't ever want to live them again. Too much booze, too much unhealthy food and not enough exercise! Don't get me wrong, it was exceptionally fun while it lasted and I met some people that I will call friends for life, but I much prefer living in moderation, at least most of the time!

Anyhow, let's get on to the very reason for this post. The lovely young lady that I went to visit this weekend (let's call her BMcC) has decided that after a bit of a hiatus (due to babies and motherhood) that she would like to start running again. I am extremely proud of her for making this decision and taking charge of her health and fitness, no small feat between working full time and having two wee ones aged 3 and just about 5! Personally, I think she is AMAZING for starting this running thing again. I think it is so important to keep a part of your life just for yourself, especially when you have a husband and kids to look after. Taking the time each and every day to do a bit of exercise is especially important for your health and well being even more so when you are a busy mom!

In discussing with BMcC her reasons for getting back into this running thing, she mentioned that not only is she doing this for herself, she is also doing this for her girls. It is important to her (and to every mother, I'm sure) to be able to keep up with her very busy girls. She wants to be able to run around with them on the playground and swim with them and bike with them, no small feat with babes that are that age! As I witnessed first hand this weekend, their energy is endless! BMcC also believes it is cruicial that her girls have a head start in developing a positive self image and that their first role model with respect to a healthy lifestyle and good self esteem should be their mother. Let's face it, in this day and age women don't receive a lot of positive messages about their bodies. The portrayal of women in the media is about as unrealistic as it gets. Perfection. Perfect skin, perfect hair, perfect bodies. And even though we know that the perfection is unrealistic, we still compare ourselves to this unattainable image, resulting in feeling like we aren't good enough, pretty enough or thin enough. BMcC wants to her girls to see her take charge of her life for the right reasons...so she can lead a long, healthy life while reducing her risk of heart disease and diabetes. So she can be active long into her life. So she can continue to be an amazing mother, daughter and wife. So she has confidence and feels good about herself. How fabulous would it be for her two little ones to see her cross the line at her first 5k, 10k, half or full marathon? I personally think it would be the most fabulous thing ever.

I really just want to end this post with a huge hug and congratulations to my dear old buddy for recommitting to health and fitness. I think you are simply wonderful and feel honoured that I am, in some small way, a part of your journey. And to all of you moms out there who manage to find time in your already over-packed schedules to run, swim, bike, hit the gym or play badminton (yes, you know who you are, CS), I thank you for being a positive role model for the next generation. Each and every single one of you kicks some major ass and are heroes in every sense of the word.

P.S. 6 days to the Manitoba full. EXCITING!

No comments: