Sunday, April 12, 2009

It's Really Official...

...I am licensed and ready to assist people in committing and recommitting to health and fitness! The fitness gods have smiled upon me and it's official...I am a Certified Personal Trainer! Anyone want a running program? A weight program? A weight and running program combined? A general program to improve your fitness and lose weight? Well look no further people...I AM YOUR WOMAN!

Truthfully, I learned a ton in my course and studies over the past couple of months. Much of what I learned regarding the cardiovascular energy systems and nutrition I have applied to my own training and low and behold, it seems to work! Science...amazing isn't it? Anyhow, I am excited to embark upon my career in the fitness industry. It has always been a passion of mine, and I can't think of a better job to have then something that you consider a passion! Feels less like work and more like play, no? Anyhow...anyone looking for a trainer? ANYONE?

Enough about PT and onto the very meat of this post...the running part! It sure does feel good to run in shorts and a t-shirt, doesn't it? I am loving the sunshine, warmer weather and ice free pathways and sidewalks. It just makes for nicer running. And when the running is nicer, I find myself looking even more forward to it. Hopefully the great Calgary weather (if you aren't reading from Calgary here's to hoping your weather has been great too) has been motivation for ya'll to get out there to pound the pavement and get those training miles in. The half and full are fast approaching after all! By now everyone has heard me say repeatedly, PLEASE don't miss your long runs. If you have any hope for a great run on race day then these long ones are very, very important. To go the distance you need the endurance! As for your shorter runs, if you haven't been already, I highly suggest pushing your pace a bit on these runs. I'm not saying that you need to head out for an hour long sprint- that would H-U-R-T, but do try and just go a touch faster on your shorter runs...if that doesn't work for you, consider trying a run where you run a third of your run for warm up, a third at a nice steady pace and a third pushing your pace. The shorter runs where you push the pace will help your body learn to better deal with the adverse reaction your body will have to running hard, such as the lactic acid build up in your muscles and the soreness in the legs!

And with that little morsel of juicy marathon training advice, I will sign off here...lets keep our fingers crossed for more great weather! Happy Easter and Happy Running everyone!

No comments: