Saturday, May 19, 2012

For REALS

It's true.

I am not running in the Ottawa marathon next weekend. 

I am not running in the Ottawa marathon next weekend.

For real.  I even wrote it twice to be sure.  Ever notice how when you say something out loud or write it down, it suddenly becomes that much more real?

I have to admit, it hurts.  While my knees, hips and back are not hurt at all (and are likely silently rejoicing, if body parts can rejoice) by this turn of events, my heart is.  And my soul.  And my psyche.  When you are hyper-focused on a goal as marathoners tend to be, it can be a harsh reality to admit that the finish line will just not be crossed.  As I've reflected most recently, it certainly isn't just about crossing that proverbial finish line, but really is more about the process in getting there. Choosing not to run in Ottawa needs to be seen and felt as just that, then...a part of the process.  A part of the process that will ensure I am strong, fit and healthy when I hit up DC in October for the Marine Corps marathon.  I am thinking of this as the GIFT I am giving my future self so I am ABLE to train at the level I truly, truly want.

Dear Body: Today I am giving you the gift of PERMISSION.  Permission to rest, recover, HEAL, regain strength, fitness and health so in the future, you can be pushed to sub 3 and you respond with NO PROBLEM!

The silver lining in the cloud?  I get to be a supporter and spectator in my home city marathon, the Scotiabank Calgary Marathon.  Next weekend, starting in the wee hours of Sunday morning, you will find me with the fabulous team from lululemon manning a support station.  FUN!  I've never really been a race spectator before, and I have to say I'm looking quite forward to supporting runners, cheering them on and perhaps even running with them for a short distance when they might really, really need something like that.  I always appreciate the support I receive during races and am thrilled that I get to be on the giving end next weekend.  Also, because I know the lemons NEVER do anything halfway, dare I say that this will be the most awesome of support stations that runners have ever seen.  There will be music, there will be dancing.  There will be signs and sun salutations.  And from me?  Free hugs to all runners, of course!  That is if they have time to stop for one!

And in case you're wondering, I do have a running goal.  Another one.  Or an extension of the same one that I've had for a while.  First: regain health, fitness and strength so when July 1st hits, this body is going to be so ready for Marine Corps marathon training that I will be UNSTOPPABLE.  Next:

I run a sub 3:00 marathon on October 28th, 2012.

For reals. 

No comments: