Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Double

Two posts in one short weekend, my faithful followers!  Several items of consequence to pass...

First.  I was the guest runner at the Centennial High School X-Country practice on Friday.  FUN.  It was sunny.  It was hot.  And we had the best time.  I was super impressed with this small but tenacious bunch!  In particular, I had the pleasure of meeting a young runner who, for privacy's sake, shall remain nameless.  Now, I imagine, this one is going to be a GREAT runner.  Better than great, actually, I think she is probably going to be a fabulous runner.  She has all the qualities that will take her far in running- dedication, perseverance, and a true love of the sport.  I hope she realizes what a talented athlete she is, but more than that, I hope she remembers that the races, the training, the miles and miles and miles...it should always be fun!  You focus.  You train.  You race.  And in the end the only person you need to impress is yourself.  Anyhow, the last city X-country race is on Wednesday- so I hope everyone out there in the running community can send some energy her way for an amazing run! 

Second.  I was going for my long run this morning.  My Sunday morning partner couldn't make it as he was feeling under the weather.  20 minutes in, I ran into Miss AW, soon to be marathoner extraordinaire as she is running in her first marathon next weekend in Victoria.  I so appreciated her company and conversation on this run.  Made the first 2 hours of my run go by so quickly!  Thanks buddy! 

Third.  Random Ryan from Vancouver who builds racing canoes who was Calgary this weekend in a paddling race prior to running his dog around the reservoir, it was a pleasure to make your acquaintance.  Best of luck with your Las Vegas training.  I so appreciated being able to run with you for the final 30 minutes of my run this morning, because let me tell you, after just about three hours and almost 35km, I was starting to feel it.  The company and distraction were most excellent.  You will likely never, ever read my blog (unless it goes viral, which really it should- come ON peeps, pass it on :), but thanks a million!

Running WAS really all around this weekend!

Last.  I'm thinking Ottawa for my spring marathon.  Thoughts? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ottawa - begins with an 'O' so it fits. Potential PR possible given good conditions, sea level race and a big Canadian event - so I'd say good idea go for it.

Now a suggestion for the fall: Royal Victoria Marathon - begins with an 'R" - also fits - sea level, rolling course also with PR possibilities for strong runners like yourself. The logistics are easy and there is a great marathon "buzz" that weekend in Victoria. You will not be disappointed!

Finally, check out marathonguide.com - search for the race in question then read the runner's comments - very helpful in solidifying your decision.