Monday, September 14, 2009

Full Moon?

Two things of consequence happened to me while I was out running this weekend. Highly unusual and somewhat humorous, I thought they were blog-worthy, so here you go...

1. I missed my long run on Friday. I KNOW. Crazy. But I wasn't feeling well. So I got some good rest and decided that I would head out for a lovely 2+ hour jog on Saturday morning. And this is when things went a bit sideways...

I wiped out. BIG TIME. I wish I had some fabulous story about how I was distracted by one of my two crushes (just for review- Tim Riggins and Rafael Nadal) running by, but sadly, I do not. I got lazy and simply didn't pick my foot up high enough to get over the curb which resulted in an arm-flailing, leg-sprawling yard sale right there in the middle of the sidewalk. Water bottles everywhere, IPod smashed on the ground (which, by the way it did survive- nice work, Apple) and blood coming out of my hands, left wrist and elbow. Nice.

For a split second I was RELIEVED when I looked around and saw that there were ZERO...yes, that's right...ZERO witnesses to my not so graceful face plant. After sitting there stunned for several moments and then slowly realizing that I hadn't broken anything, however, I was kind of disappointed that there was NO ONE to ask me if I was OK. But mainly I was relieved. And then I chuckled. Big time. This is something I have had to learn to do after realizing that I seem to embarrass myself on a regular basis. Oh well, there are worse things I'm sure...which leads nicely into item of consequence #2.

2. Let's not beat around the bush. I was running the reservoir on Sunday afternoon and I got stung by a wasp on my ankle. F&*k. Those things HURT. I had to pull the stinger out too. And when it happened I swore and kind of danced around swatting at my leg. Rest assured, Sunday was a beautiful day in Calgary and unlike the anonymity of my free fall on Saturday morning, there were several who witnessed the wasp sting. Except they probably didn't realize that I had been stung and wondered instead who the crazy woman doing a weird dance on the running path was. So, what did I do? I did what any sane individual does at this point...I kept running. I was still a good 30 minutes from home so I figured this was the best way to get there quickly. And I laughed at this one too...

I mean SERIOUSLY...was it a full moon this weekend or what?

FYI- my run this afternoon was standard. Nothing earth-shattering or eventful. Quite lacklustre, fact...and I enjoyed every second!

1 comment:

Christine said...

Andrea - you are so disciplined to keep on going I would have quit I'm sure! My brother and his daughter saw a runner get hit by a car this weekend. He had to call 911 and he says there were definate broken bones. I know near the end of my long runs I can easily loose my focus and just want to keep my pace regardless of cars..... Thanks for the update - the race is just weeks away!