Thursday, October 4, 2012

My Tribe

I have always maintained that I'm a pretty simple gal.  I work.  I run.  I eat.  I yoga.  I work out.  I hang out.  I love music.  I love baking.  I love my family and friends.  I love the sun on my skin, the feeling of the lake first thing in the morning when I jump in on a spectacular summer day and the sound of my feet on the pavement, the wind in the trees and the water flowing over the rocks on my moonlit morning runs.

Simple, yes?  This is one of the reasons I've always maintained that geography is not super important to me.  Don't get me wrong, there are certain minuscule requirements when it comes to locale, such as being close enough to my family that I can visit when I need some selfish cuddles from wee H and being close enough that I can get to the lake for a chunk of summertime for night boating expeditions and turtle hunting.  Other than that, for me, a place is less about the geography and more about the peeps that allows me to dig in, heart and soul.  It's really about finding my tribe.  My peeps.  My community.  Those people.

Who is it that makes up my tribe?  Who are the people that allow ME to connect, to feel a part of a community, to feel like I've found my place in this crazy world?  To start, the runners, of course must be included in this crew.   Really any and all runners are a part of my tribe, but especially those runners who are in it for the long run; the marathoners and the half marathoners, the ultras and the trail runners.  Those who know that the day is not quite over and all is not quite right in the world until feet have been into shoes and shoes have hit the pavement.  The ones who really understand the need to leave it all behind, tune out of the world and onto the path, clearing the mind, moving the body in one long continuous meditation.  The crazies who know, without a doubt, that the runner's high is real and is most definitely worth chasing.  This is my tribe.

It's also the yogis.  Those who really understand what it means to be brave enough to try, but to be smart enough to try easy and to smile and laugh at the prospect that you TRIED and to let go of the idea that it should turn out any certain way.   The ones who keep breathing and understand the need to breathe in joy, love and kindness and to breathe out fear, worry,  and inadequacy.  This is my tribe.
 


And let's not forget the fitness freaks.  The gym rats.  The peeps who look at an outdoor space and see the perfect obstacle course for pullups, hill repeats, step ups and anything and everything else exercise related.  Those who love to squat and lunge and pushup and pull up and press and raise.  Those who know their core is ALWAYS engaged and so that their spine is ALWAYS supported and protected.  Form, posture, perfection.  Mind NEVER turned off.  Body ALWAYS turned on.  This is my tribe.


Of course, I can't forget to include my peeps who believe in the power of the universe.  And who believe that one of the best, most awesome feelings in the world is to give or get a hug.  There is nothing in the world quite like being on the receiving end of a hug that someone really, really means.   You know THOSE hugs.  The ones that feel like you are getting squeezed so tightly that you can feel the meaning behind it?  The genuine intention of care, love and kindness?  THOSE hugs.  And those that give out love, unconditionally too, these are my peeps!  I know I try really, really hard to lead with my heart and to let it shine.  My peeps are the ones who are let their hearts shine as well.  There are lots of ways to show love.  You really never know how a simple loving gesture (perhaps re-read the part about hugs) can sure change someone's attitude, day, moment or maybe even life.  The people that think like this, they are my tribe.

I know, without a doubt, that wherever this crazy life will take me, that I will never, ever be alone.  Because there are always runners, yogis and fitness freaks.  Those who hug first and ask questions later.  People who believe that love WILL find a way. 

They are everywhere.  My tribe. 



1 comment:

Wendy M.Kurchak said...

You are not a simple gal. You are brilliant, complex, caring and a terrific example of a visionary and courageous human being. You will be so, no matter where you are, and what you do. You will find community everywhere.