Sunday, June 3, 2012

Going Commando

Yesterday, I ran a 10k.  In my underwear no less!

Confused?  No, I didn't go streaking. I have (hopefully) left that behaviour far in my past, but I did participate in The Underwear Affair, a fundraising 10k to raise dollars and awareness for cancers "down there".  This is more that a worthy cause to support as so many people are affected by these cancers.

For some time I have thought, that as a runner, I should participate in a fundraising run of some sort.  There are, after all, many runs out there supporting a variety of different causes and this one seemed as good a cause as any to support.  A quick trip to the Underwear Affair website and it was official; I was captain of Going Commando.  In case you've missed it, this 10k is a bit unusual in that everyone runs in their underwear (or some iteration of underwear- there were some REALLY interesting costumes and underoos on parade) and Going Commando was chosen as the team name for the double entendre.  No, we were certainly NOT "going commando" as an arrest for public nudity may not appear favourable on my record, but I thought it would be fun if everyone who was a part of the team sported their best army themed skivvies.

Curious about what a bunch of runners dressed in camouflage underwear look like? Here it is:

Marcel: tall guy in the middle- you win the prize for best Commando costume.  HANDS DOWN!

And here's the rest of Going Commando:


A decent looking bunch if I do say so myself!

And now for an admission. 

Did you know that I AM SHY?  I really am.  About my body, that is.  For a long time, I wished that my body was everything that it wasn't: super thin, ultra long-legged, super model-esque.  I suppose people always want what we really can't have to some extent, and in my case, that has meant the desire to have much, much longer legs, less muscle and a trunk with way less junk.  Very recently, I made a decision that I was going to stop wishing for what I was never going to have and I was going to accept the body I was born with.  Embrace it, if you will.  And a part of embracing it meant deciding to be proud of it.   Thus was born the idea of running around the city of Calgary in my underwear.  Thank goodness the Underwear Affair provided a platform for this, otherwise a solo run in my underwear may have resulted in people questioning my sanity! 

It was interesting and timely to me that the underoos I selected for the race had a message in the band that seemed to be put there entirely for me:



Again, I repeat: I really DO have an athlete's body.  Healthy, strong and fit.  For this, I am thankful.  All it took to come to this conclusion, truthfully, was to switch my mindset.  I started to refer to my body as athletic.  I told people I wasn't shy and that I was GOING to be running in underwear.  Just underwear and nothing else.  I started to thank my body for all it does for me.  I stopped wishing for longer legs and less of an ass and started to realize that having an ass means that I can power through those last few incredibly difficult miles in a marathon.  It really is amazing to me the power our thoughts and mindset can have over how we feel about ourselves. 

And guess what happened?  For real?!  I loved every second of it.  As I trudged along in my skivvies I felt happy and free.  I started to run a bit faster.  And then a wee bit faster.  And then, it just felt like I was flying.  I felt light, happy and confident.

Me!  Running towards the finish in my underoos!
Me!  Pre-race in  my underoos!
The result?  Going Commando: Mission Accomplished.

Dollars raised for cancer research: over $9000- a huge thank you to everyone who supported me with generous donations.

Mindset: changed.  I am an athlete.  I have an athletic body.  Strong. Healthy. Fit.

And incredibly thankful.














4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coming from one athlete who often gazes at longer, leaner legs I am also learning to be happier with my athlete body! You have a gorgeous body but the inside of you is what makes you so strong and beautiful.

Andrea said...

Thanks so much for the kind comment!

Anonymous said...

This blog just keeps getting better.
-P

Unknown said...

If I looked that good in my underwear I'd never put clothes on! Good for you. Post baby body image has got me singing the blues, thanks for the optimistic post - just what I needed! If it weren't for the baby belly, there'd be no baby. Great post!