Monday, September 5, 2011

The Fall

No,  I didn't trip while I was running, it's that time of year!

The Fall.  New season, new beginnings.  Cool (er) running temperatures, pretty coloured leaved on the running routes and drastic increases in mileage.  NYC- just two short months away.  I'm starting to think about it much more frequently...time to miss less runs and recommit to the marathon training schedule after a summer hiatus.

I am missing summer, of course.  I miss the lake, I miss my family, I miss commuting by boat and of course, I miss the lazy days that summer vacay brings.  But to be honest and truthful, I am happy to be back into the regular routine and the sense of orderliness that this seems to bring to life. 

So.  NYC.  In terms of preparation, the mileage is starting to climb and I'm starting to consider my pace much, much more on my medium distance runs.  I'm running longer intervals on the speedwork front and am hitting lot of hills to keep everything strong and powerful.  And, of utmost importance, I am doing a lot of yoga.  A lot.  My back has been sore and soreness just will not do.  Yoga has been helping and is a good reminder to all my running peeps out there to make sure you are doing what you need to stay healthy and stay running.  For me, right now, this means yoga twice weekly.  Not optional.  I have also reaccquainted myself with my foam roller and my evening stretching regime.  Again, not optional.  Training for a race of any distance requires much more than just running.  Keep that in your mind while you're out there on the trails and consider the "non-running" parts of your training!

So, as the sun sets on this most awesome of summers, happy trails, my running peeps!  Enjoy the last bit of running friendly weather before the snow flies!



Beautiful morning commute on the lake.  Have I mentioned that a boat is a much preferable mode of transportation?


Good-bye summer!  We'll miss you!  Welcome fall!



No comments: