Monday, June 21, 2010

Toilets and Stairs- Ouch

This is me post marathon.  Please note that I had an odd number (first time ever- I like even better).  Also, please note the more than awesome homage to the marathon in the form of flowers in running shoes that my sister and I put up on her fence the day before the run.  Finally, please note the pic is taken post run, thus the sweat and awesome hair.  If I look dazed and confused I probably was!

So...

It has come and gone...

I ran yesterday.  In the Manitoba Marathon if you recall. 

And just to back pedal a bit since I seemed to vanish in the last couple of weeks, I got sick AGAIN.  Yes, again.

But I still managed to have a wonderful race yesterday!  I finished in 3:15 which is about 30 seconds off my personal best.  This was good for fourth place overall on the women's side.  It was a beautiful day for a run- hot and humid which is just how I like it, and the marathon course was just great.  And I do have to hand it to all the Winnipeg peeps...to those who volunteered, cheered and competed, it was a spectacular race from start to finish.  I will be back, that I can promise.

I also would like to give, a big, big shout out to my family.  You guys just rock.  Ains and Ty, thanks for putting up with me all weekend!  Ains, thanks for keeping me calm at the start, hanging out in the porta-john line with me, the good lucks hugs and for all the support- you are WONDERFUL.  And to Mom and Dad AND Ains and Ty- thanks for being at the finish!  I heard your cheering and it really, really helped on that stadium lap, because truthfully, I thought I was going to die at that point!  I should mention that my Mom and Dad came all the way from Kenora for the event, which I truly appreciate, since they have been VERY hard at work doing some home renovations.  And I have to hand it to Ty- he CRUTCHED all the way from where he had to park his truck to the finish and then back again. This was a long, long way and is what I will from now on refer to as "the marathon on crutches".  I really appreciated all the love and support, family!

So why didn't I PB?  Who knows, really...I was holding strong until about 6 miles out and then my quads just turned into bricks.  Or maybe cement.  I think I need to work my middle distance pace runs a bit more and I think my endurance could have been a bit better, although missing runs due to illness is just unavoidable sometimes.  I think I will endeavour to really, really push the last 5-6 miles of my long runs from now on.  The elusive 3:10 is JUST within my reach...so close I can feel it...

So today- I hurt.  BIG time.  Quads absolutlely screaming NOOOOOOOO everytime I hit the staircase...or have to pee...and although the massage today should help, I know for a fact that it will H-U-R-T with a capital H.  Short term pain for long term, gain, right??

I must say- I am looking forward to a good couple of weeks of rest and recovery before the punishment oops I mean training for Chicago begins!

No comments: